Tags: apple, baking, breakfast, oven, pancake, recipe
So yesterday I wrote about making pancakes using brown rice flour for my wheat-intolerant son. They were great pancakes for a first time try…but if you REALLY want something yummy and comforting, this apple oven pancake is for you. I make it mostly for me and my husband, and it truly is quick and easy. No standing at the stove flipping, stacking, buttering, cutting, repeat…just slice, mix, pour and bake.
German Apple Oven Pancake
- 2 tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced very thin
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Put a cast-iron or oven proof 9″ skillet in the oven with 2 tbs. of the butter.
- In a bowl, combine the apple slices with brown sugar and cinnamon, making sure apples are coated.
- In another bowl, mix flour with salt.
- In a large cup, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and remaining 1 tbs. butter.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Remove pan from oven, swirl butter to cover entire bottom. Arrange the apple slices over the bottom of the pan. Pour batter over the apple slices.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until puffy and lightly brown.
NOTE: DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DURING BAKING. IT WILL CAUSE PANCAKE TO FALL FLAT.
Tags: chicken, quick, slow cooker, soup, southwest
This week’s Wikiwiki recipe is a family favorite! We have it almost every week. It’s warm with spices but not too hot for the kids. I usually serve it with a cheese quesadilla for dipping.
SLOW-COOKER SOUTHWEST CHICKEN SOUP
- 1 pound chicken, diced
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 10 oz. can enchilada sauce
- 1 4 oz. can chopped green chile peppers
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 14.5 oz. can chicken broth, or 2 cups homemade stock
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- Put all ingredients EXCEPT for black beans and cilantro into the slow cooker. Stir until well combined.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Add black beans and cilantro approx. 1 hour before soup is done.
Tags: crock pot, dinner, frugal, recipe, roast beef, slow cooker, soup
Everyone needs a slow-cooker. If you don’t have one, run out and get one ASAP! They save so much time and make everything taste amazing!
Today’s Wikiwiki tip: Cook a beef pot roast for dinner tonight, and turn it into beef vegetable soup tomorrow.
CROCK-POT POT ROAST
- 3 or 4 lbs. beef roast
- 1/2 lb. carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 lb. celery, chopped
- 3 baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup water
Put carrots, celery and 1/2 of the potatoes on the bottom of the pot. Add the roast. Sprinkle meat with the onion soup mix. Top with the remaining potatoes. Pour water over all. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
SAVE ANY LEFTOVERS…
CROCK-POT BEEF VEGETABLE SOUP
- leftover beef and veggies
- 2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 small bag frozen mixed veggies
- 1 14.5 ounce can beef broth
Put everything in crock-pot and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2 hours.
Tags: burger, easy, organic, quick, recipe, turkey
A quick and easy recipe for a healthy alternative to beef burgers. Organic ground turkey costs a bit more than ground beef but is an excellent source of lean protein. One serving of turkey provides more than half your body’s protein requirement, with half the fat of beef and 30% fewer calories.Turkey also contains the trace mineral selenium, plus niacin and Vitamin B6.
Organic Turkey Burgers
Makes 12 bun-sized patties
- 2 lbs. organic ground turkey
- 1/3 cup olive oil (you can also use coconut oil)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. I find that my hands are the best tools for this!
Use a 1/3 cup scoop to measure out patties. This ensures even cooking time.
Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil (or coconut oil) in a large skillet over medium heat.
Cook patties 4 min on first side, 3 minutes on second or until nicely browned on each side.
Serve with your choice of buns or other starch and veggies.